Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 5, and a crisis emerges


As I mentioned, this is a kit that I purchased from West Coast Embroidery (the distributor for Cross Stitch Collection magazine). When I ordered the kit I was offered a choice of 2 fabrics--16hpi Aida or 32hpi even weave. I selected the 32 hpi even weave fabric both because I don't generally like the hand on an Aida and because I find it easier to work partial stitches on even weave. The stitch count for the chart (verified with the chart) is 128x479, which works out to a design area of 8x30 when stitched over 2 on 32hpi fabric.

I had elected not to grid my fabric before I started. I hate all those pieces of floss hanging around the edges! If I had gridded my fabric I would have noticed the problem before I started. But instead of stitching grid lines I simply created an 8x30 rectangle, placed it on the fabric, and determined my starting point in the top left corner.

While stitching last night I noticed that I was going to be closer to the bottom margin of the fabric than I am on the top--and by more than just a stitch or two. I grabbed my tape measure and saw that what I had ALREADY stitched was 8 inches in length--and I still had 18 stitches to go before I reached the bottom of the chart! I couldn't have mis-measured that much, could I?

So I checked the stitches--and lo and behold--I wasn't sent 32hpi fabric, I was sent 28hpi fabric. I quickly ran to the computer to plug the new numbers into a floss calculator to see what the new dimensions of the piece will be--9.12 x 34.25!

With great trepidation I take out the tape measure again and measure the length of the fabric. Instead of having an generous margin on the right side of the fabric I'll have about one-half inch, plus the selvage.

So now I have a dilemma. Do I rip, or continue? If I continue I'll have to get some waste fabric sewn onto the selvage so that I can keep the fabric in the Q-Snaps when I'm working on that side of the chart as well as so that I can properly prepare the finished piece for framing.

I'm going to have to look at the floss and see if I feel 'safe' continuing with the floss in the kit, or if I think I'll have to re-kit the major colors--the ones used on the walls and the floors--to be sure that I don't run out!

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear - I hate when things get messed up like this! Good luck making your decision and I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my. I usually just mark the center lines or outside margins; never even considered gridding a project before I read Mary Corbet's blog where she recently started a sampler. Now you post this. I'm beginning to see the advantages of doing all that prep work! Best wishes in deciding how to proceed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think The Summer Ball is such a lovely patern. I saw it in CrossSticher and I instantly loved it. I wish you a lot of happy stiching with it!
    I'd love to make it myself but I do not have a creditcard so I couldn't order it.
    (a bit jealous??)

    ReplyDelete